From Proceedings, Page 1926-279:
By Wor. Roy Prout.
In the year of Masonry 5801 a few of the residents of Randolph and vicinity who had received the honors of Masonry in different Lodges petitioned the Grand Lo dge for a Charter.The petition was granted the eighth of June the same year, and a Charter was received in due form. So anxious were the Brethren to begin (heir work thai they assembled on the same evening that their Charter was dated and temporarily organized by the choice of their officers. A committee was then chosen to buy Jewels and other necessaries for the Lodge.
Soon after the organization, the building of a hall be came a subject of controversy between the members, which resulted in the building of a hall and the withdrawal (January, 1802) of a majority of the most influential members, thus leaving the Lodge with but seven or eight members.
Four new members wow admitted during the year, when the Lodge was again embarrassed by the unmasonic conduct of the Master, who was expelled January 31, 1803. With the removal of the Master new life was infused into the Lodge. A new code of By-Laws was adopted; the members who withdrew the previous year rejoined, and another election of officers was held, who continued in office until the next April, when the election was held in Quincy. In November, 1803, it was voted to join with a number of Brethren at Quincy to petition the Grand Lodge to remove the Charter to Quincy.
On the 26th of December, 1803, the Lodge assembled for the first time in Quincy, at Baxter's Hall, on School Street. This hall was in the house so long the residence of Daniel Baxter. It was used as a Lodge-room until January, 1825, when Wor. Bro. Samuel Savil fitted up a hall in his residence on Hancock Street, nearly opposite the present Masonic halL This room the Lodge occupied until its dissolution in 1834.
Nothing of importance occurred outside the usual Lodge work until November, 1834, when Rural Lodge surrendered its Charter, on account of the Morgan disturbance. The money in the treasury was voted to various members, for services rendered, and the balance, $2.46, to the Grand Lodge. Lodge effects not returned to the Grand Lodge were given to Wor. Bro. Savil us compensation for his claims against the Lodge.
In the year 1853, a few of the members of Rural Lodge, with other Brethren who had settled in this town since the Lodge was dissolved, being anxious again to practice the Masonic rites, and observing thai the tide of public opinion, which had been so strong against them, had ebbed, and a feeling was gradually growing in favor of Freemasonry, presented a petition to the Grand Lodge on the 14th of September for the return of their Charter. The prayer of the petitioners was granted and the Charter restored, A meeting of the petitioners was held on the evening of September 29, at Abercrombie's Hall, situated on Washington, near the corner of Canal Street.
The next event of importance was disastrous to the Lodge. On Thursday, August 26, 1875, at one o'clock A. M., the building in which the Lodge-room was situated was discovered to be on fire, and in an hour was a mass of ruins: the only Lodge property saved was the Charter, book of accounts, and the later records. Saint Paul's Lodge No. 37, K. of P., offered the Lodge the use of their rooms, which offer was gratefully accepted.
November, 1876, the Lodge moved into nm quarters in Robertson Block, corner of Hancock and Granite Streets, with considerable ceremony. The Grand Master and other Grand Officers were present. They had a parade, a band, banquet, speeches and entertainment that lasted until the "wee sma' hours."
February 22, 1881, Wor. Master Fred L. Jones laid the Corner Stone of the Thomas Crane Public Library, and the building wax dedicated May 30, 1882. The Grand Lodge Officers were present, and another procession took place, and after the Dedication the Officers of the Lodge took the keys of the Library to the Unitarian Church and delivered them to the Town. Rural Lodge never forgot the inner man, for we are told the procession kept on to Faxon Hall where a sumptuous banquet was served.
The first Masonic fair held in Quincy by Rural Lodge took place in the Robertson House from December 18 to 23, 1883, after elaborate preparations by an extensive committee. Although the weather during the week was unpropitious, both snowing and extremely cold, the fair was a complete success, and the Charity Fund of Rural Lodge was started with $2,000 proflt from the fair. A Board of Trustees for the Charity Fund was elected al the following meetinf in January, 1884.
Such is a sketch of Rural Lodge up to the present time, when we have 1,000 members, and are about to build a new Temple to put them in.
Here's where you can enter in text. Feel free to edit, move, delete or add a different page element.